The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Vintage MARX Model RR O Scale Illinois Central Metal Train Bridge Trestle J066Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Vintage HO Train Scale Barns, Building and Animals , 1980'sWalthers HO 933-3519 Bulk Transfer Conveyors and OfficeGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Lot of (3) HO Scale Conrail Train Cars Box Caboose Tanker Atlas & Lifelike Nicesince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Lot of PLAYMOBIL Pirate Ship, Fortress, Island, Mermaid Queen, King & MorePAW PATROL MARSHALL ACTIVITY CASE W 300+ PIECES - BRAND NEW
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Walthers Predo HO Scale 55' Evans 3-Bay Covered Hopper Mead Nebraska Co-op 26278
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Vintage playmobil 3773 fort bravo - not completeFOLKMANIS PLUSH REALISTIC FULL BODY EMPEROR PENGUIN PUPPET with BABYBNIB Toyland Solid Wooden Rescue Playset Fire Station RRP
Thunder Snow (20-1):HO BOWSER PRR T-1 4-4-4-4 Locomotive Miscellaneous Kit LOT T9 This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Bn911-2 x Roco H0 DC voie courbée 42422+42428+42430+42426 etc,BRICOLEUR
- HO TRAINS 0819-225HO TRAINS LIONEL 0819-225 SANTA FE CABOOSE
- NEW Traxxas 2820X 2S 7.4V 2200mAh LiPo Battery w iD Connector SHIPS FREE
- HPI 77119 Steel Spur Gear 49T
- E-flite 15 size 90 degree nose
- GPM Racing HPI Nitro RS4 3 Aluminum 3mm Main Chassis NRS3016
- BBR 180A Ferrari FXX 2006 Red 1 43
- Thomas The Train ERTL Die Cast Conductor Top Hat Engines Douglas Donald
- Model Design Construction Kit RBK32001 Ki-61-I Hien Tony IJA Type 3 RARE
- SCALEXTRIC C2301 VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE RED 500 UNITS LTED.ED. MB
- HOBBYKING X-CAR BEAST SERIES 120A 120 AMP BRUSHLESS SENSORED SENSORLESS ESC 2-6S
- Original 1957 Revell Fokker Triplane DR-1 'S' Kit H-270-198 Complete With Decals
- Toizz 33.56036 42 cm BIColini Lying Border Collie Dog Plush Toy
- Just Add Sunª Solar Science + Art Kit
- Marx Bathing Beauty (Hard to Find Got to Have)
- Auto World 1977 Firebird Trans Am Xtraction Ultra G HO Electric Slot Car 4 Gear
- EAGLEMOSS STAR TREK OFFICIAL STARSHIP USS KOBAYASHI MARU ECS-1022 BOXED NEW
- VINTAGE APPLAUSE NOSTALGIC TEDDY BEAR ON WHEELS STUFFED ANIMAL PLUSH TOY
- Moulin redy Plume from the Ma Poupee Group of Dolls 38 cms from Wyestyles
- DJI Flame Wheel F550 ARF Kit V5(with Motors, ESC, Props) - US Dealer
- Ares AZSZ2735 Right Motor w Motor Housing V-Hawk
- Roco H0 78447 Electric Locomotive RH 470 The GYSEV AC for Märklin Digital +
- STAR WARS Spacecraft Vehicle 05 1 48 X-Wing Starfighter Electronic Light & Sound
- New YAHTZEE VINTAGE GAME BOOKSHELF COLLECTION Dice Game by Hasbro Parker Bros.
- Vintage Rare 1 87 Lima HO Train Set in box 1970s made in
- ROCO HO GAUGE 43549 ÖBB ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE BR 1044
- Life Miniatures B008 1 9 MG42 Tripod Carrier, Totenkopf Division, Kharkov 1943
- Council Of 4 - BRAND NEW