The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Rare 1991 Mattel Where's Waldo Memory GameClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Catacombs 1st Edition Board Game, Complete EXCELLENT Condition Yunnan (Board Game, 2013) tea trading Euro-style silverum Verlag RARE COMPLETEGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) RARE 1992 Tyco -Fleas On Fred- Board Gamesince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
RARE Vintage Sparkle Lights Board Game Ohio Art - Complete - Works CLUE Game of Thrones
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.NEW Vintage Rare WORLD CUP USA 94 SOCCER Board Game Officially Licensed ToysRus
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
The Office Trivia Board Game From 2008 - CompleteOld Vtg 1958 REMCO GIANT WHEEL PICTURE BINGO GAME No.801 COMPLETECashflow for Kids Board Game by Robert Kiyosaki Rich Dad Poor Dad Complete +more
Thunder Snow (20-1):Vintage 1980 The Awful Green Things From Outer Space TSR Board Game Complete This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Fingerlings Baby Unicorn GIGI - Toys R Us Exclusive - Fingerling by WowWee
- Warhammer Age Of Sigmar Daughters Of Khaine Melusai x5
- Wellington Vs Massena UNPUNCHED with Wargamer Magazine by 3W Wargame
- BY842-2Trix Int. H0 DC 22118 E-Lokomotive E03 001 DB NEM KK digital, NEUW+OVP
- Vintage Happi Time 5-Unit Diesel Electric Train - WORKS - No 09362 -Original Box
- 2.4G RC Quadcopter 1080P Wifi FPV Selfie Drone GPS Follow Me Altitude Hold G1M6
- Walkera Helicopter R C 4Metal Head Version BNF
- Minichamps 1 43 - Toyota Urban Cruiser White
- MTH O 20-96083 Anchor Gas & Fuel Tank Car
- 5.8G 40CH Dual Antennas FPV Goggles Video Glasses for RC Racing Drone B0F8
- Mini JJRC H48 Mini Drone 6 Axis 2.4G RC Micro Quadcopters Remote Control For Kid
- REDS RACING QUATTRO CLUTCH SHOES, 2 x 7075 ALU, 2 x CARBON, V2, 4pcs, MUQU0024
- 19671 LIONEL MODEL DISPLAY CAR
- Vintage Oily Jiggler--Monkey Shines--No Reserve
- Mattel Major Matt Mason Space Discovery Set box Uni-Tred & Space Bubble
- VINTAGE G1 MY LITTLE PONY PETITE PONIES TWINKLE TREATS PLAYSET 1989 HASBRO RARE
- 2XFLOUREON 4S 14.8V 5200mAh 35C Lipo Battery Deans for RC Airplane Car Hard Case
- W. Britain The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Set, Guards Colours - Irish Guards 48018
- BISSON INgreenED MUFFLER PITT STYLE SUPER TIGRE ENGINE G4500 NIB