The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Hero Games Strike Force, Champions RPG Campaign Sourcebook,Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
The Gamers Leros The Island Prize SWWarhammer 40K Grey Knights Paladins Terminators Box New SealedGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) FASA Battletech Comstar SC VG+since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
RPG MAGAZINE Scrye Sealed from Publisher w Sailor Moon & Vampire CaTSR AD&D 1st Ed Permanent Character Folder & Adventure Record SC VG
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Deadzone 1st Ed. Forge Father Faction Starter Box - BRAND NEW SEALED
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
NELK Beer Pong Full Send KitMarklin Z Gauge 82090 Carbide Transport Wagon Set Era lll. BoxedPremiere Editions 2136C N Scale Archer Daniels Midland 40' Box Car DANX
Thunder Snow (20-1):Sealed Dark Age Path to Glory 2 player Starter Set This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Eduard Big Ed Set 1 48 - A-4e Skyhawk (hobbyboss)
- NIB American Girl Isabelle Leg Warmer Set
- PROLINE 3410-00 341000 1 10 RAT ROD CLEAR BODY NIP NEW REVO EREVO SUMMIT
- 1920s German Austrian Teddy bear
- Build Your Bears Wardrobe 15-Inch Clothes Fit Build Bear Builder Outfit
- NRFB - Fashion Royalty- Urban Antoinette - Adele Makeda Doll - 2006 - COA
- Vintage Large Doll Fainting Chaise Couch & Doll
- Hot 1 3 PVC BJD MSD Lifelike Doll Jointed Doll Girl Gift Caroline 24 toy gift a
- VINTAGE BARBIE 1651 BEAU TIME (1966) BEAUTIFUL DRESS EXCELLENT CONDITION
- Arnold N HN2079 Diesellok DHG 700C Dillinger Hütte D17 OVP (RB7840)
- Hollywood Nails Teresa Barbie Doll
- (10) Homunculi (Homunculus) for Warhammer Fantasy Battle - Rare OOP
- Monopoly game of Thrones Edition Collector - Set table - Age 18+
- MTG Magic the Gathering M13 Sublime Archangel (4x; 2 English & 2 Korean), Signed
- Mystical Creations War of the Dragon Realms Chess Set - READ DESCRIPTION
- Bonn Dirk Henn From The Roman Age Until Today Alhambra Game
- Armorcast ACGT007 Large Goth Tech Building 7.5 x 7.5 New Kill Team
- Antique Bone & Ebony Dominoes Set - Complete 28 In Beechwood Fingerjoint Box
- Chaosium Pendragon Blood & Lust SC VG+
- De Vergeten Stad [Dutch] - Jeu de société White Goblin Games
- Authentic WowWee Fingerlings Mia Baby Monkey With Bonus Stand- New In Box