The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Dungeons & Dragons D&D 5E - Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica (New)Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Fantasy Flight Games Android Board Game15mm Napoloenic Austrian infantry, guns, and commandersGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Warhammer 40K Imperial Guard Vostroyan First Born ,metalsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Palladium Rifts Rifts T-Shirt (XL) NMD&D D20 WOTC Streets of Shadow Dungeon Tiles SW
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.For Flames of war US Rifle platoon ;Weapons Platoon
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
DC Adventures RPG Hero's HandbookGiants Role Aids- Bruce Humphrey D&D RPG Mayfair GamesLeading Edge Phoenix Command Special Weapons Data Supplement SC EX
Thunder Snow (20-1):Battletech Technical Readout 2750 and Succession Wars This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- 40k Rare oop Blister Vintage Metal Chaos Space Marine Possessed Troops NIB
- HJ2307 - Locomotive à vapeur 141 TA 476 Digitalisée (ESU)
- TWO SPEED TRANSMISSION Fits Associated RC10 TC3 B4 T4
- Playmobil 4279 Haus Top-Zustand
- TENSHODO 3 piezas máquinas de punto para ESCALA 0+ H0 neuwertig en emb.orig.,
- Vintage Ho Engine and Tender2-8-2
- Brawa 48769 Neubaukesselwagen Fazeni GATX
- Henglong German Leopard2A6 RC Tank 1 16 Scale 3889 Plastic Chasis Spare Part
- Amortisseurs complet ARRIERE 115000433 ANSMANN KRYTONITE
- Sunnylife Night Flight Flash LED Headlamp Searchlight Navigation Light Lamp Kit
- 102- Märklin D-Zug 4027 Personenwagen 1.Klasse DB Spur H0 OVP
- J BENASSI WWI GERMAN PRUSSIAN ASSAULT COMPANY 23rd SAXON STUDIO PAINTED ow
- FMS 1.4M P-51D V8 Electric Retract Main Landing Gear Set - Free Shipping
- Sharpe's Rifle metal Painted 54mm Toy Soldiers Tradition of London Boxed
- Robinson Racing 8002 Steel Forward Only Gear Set Traxxas Revo 3.3
- RARE Fujimi 091365 Police Car No. 27, 1 24 Scale Kit, NEW, Sealed, L-1723
- HPI 7410 Alfa Romeo 156 Clear Body Set 1 10 200mm
- Dynamite DYNH2000 Stainless Steel Screw Set HPI Baja 5B 5T
- Flysky FS-T6 AFHDS 6CH Radio 6 Channel Transmitter R6B Receiver for RC Airplane
- 1 35 Resin Figure Model Kit Soliders tank (5 figures NO TANK) Unpainted Model
- Hobbyboss Assembly Kit 82429 1 35 Israeli Merkava Mk.IV NEW
- VERLINDEN 120MM GERMAN INFANTRY EQUIPMENT KIT NO. 448
- Vintage Wood Whistle Adgreenising Ex-Lax Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Carrera 41395 Digital 1 43 Audi R8 V10 Plus 1 43 Slot Car