The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
TSR AD&D 1st Ed Ravager of Time SC Fair+Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Wyrd Malifaux Neverborn 32mm Neverborn Collection NMGW Games Workshop Warhammer 40k Orks Boomdakka Snazzwagon NEWGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) 20-835 GRF-1N Griffen Battletech Classicsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Evil Hat Sci-Fi RPG Diaspora (2nd Printing) SC VG+AD&D SpellJammer Complete Spacefarer’s Handbook TSR DUNGEONS DRAGONS
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.M3 Lee Tank Platoon - UBX50 Flames of War - New Sealed
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Flying Buff Sorcerer's Apprentice golden Dust, Red Death Solo Dung Mag EX-TSR Dragon Mag - Strategic R Deserted Cities of Mars, Mapping the Du Mag VGVictory James Bond goldfinger Box NM
Thunder Snow (20-1):Lot of 48 Vintage Soldiers ..........(C19B1) This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Align T-Rex 600EFL PRO Metal Main redor Housing H60H005XXT
- NEW HO Faller LARGE ALPINE FARM HOUSE
- (I6) Märklin 321 G Wagon with Logs Used Condition (K1)
- VXP 4mm M832 3 32mm 1.8p De Tongue Non Lifting CNC Alloy Prop Boat Propeller
- Ho Slot Car Tyco Yamaha Banshee 350 ATV Quad 4 Wheeler Runs Mint RARE Yellow BLK
- USJ Limited Minions Bob's Teddy Bear Tim Plushie Soft Toy set of 3 Size Big 30cm
- Chogokin Batten Robo Round Poppy
- Pour H0 Circuit Routier Électrique Course Modellbahn Ford Nascar avec Life Like
- VINTAGE ULTRAMAN MINI FIGURE SET KAIJU KESHI GOMU 1992 YUTAKA RARE TOKUSATSU
- Italeri 1 24 Scania 164 L Topclass
- 1 24 Toyota Zn6 86 16 The Model Car Series No. 25 51801
- M B FLYCAR discontinued 868
- King (and) & Country EA033 - Gordon Highlander Presenting Arms - Retired
- Tamiya 1 35 Military Miniature Series No.300 British Army Infantry Mat Tank JP
- Aires Hobby 2037 1 32 F A18C Exhaust Nozzles Closed For ACY
- TAMIYA YAMAHA YZF-R1M 1 12 - 74-T14133
- Formula 1 One Motor Car Racing Board Game Waddingtons 1978 COMPLETE VGC RARE
- Deluxe Large Standing Easel - Melissa & Doug Free Shipping
- IMPACT ZONE ELECTRONIC ADVENTURE UFO GAME 1998 DAMERT CO COMPLETE EXCELLENT