The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Puppy Dog Pals Dog House PlaysetClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Swashplate Driver Set FBL (V90C) Faller 130336 Country Style Fire Department 1 87 HO 00 Scale Build KitGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Hornby oo spares x6499 1x main pcb board & 8-pin blanking plug for class 92since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
B27062 British 42nd Highlander Kneeling Firing War Along the NileCheatwell Games Topix Family Board Game. Free Shipping
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Italeri I8702 Model Locomotive BR50 Scale 1 87
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
JJRC H20H Drone Quadricopter 6 Axis Gyroscope Headless Mode 360 Degrees redationHO Roco Minitanks 9th Panzer Army Panzer III Tank A357.387.314 Hand Painted300 piece Pooh of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [hologram Jigsaw] D-300-704 Puzzle
Thunder Snow (20-1):New PLAYMOBIL 5298 Pirates Ship Skull & Bones Corsair PLAY MOBIL This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Lionel Instruction booklets that came with sets
- Bg288-0,5 MÄRKLIN H0 CAST IRON CASING FOR 3011 E-LOCOMOTIVE Set 800 E 44 039 DB
- Yokomo 42mm Aluminum BD8 2018 RTC Universal Driveshaft (2) YOKB8-RTC-04
- HO SCALE 4 CAR LOT RIVAROSSI TYCO UNION PACIFIC GREAT NORTHERN FREE SHIPPING
- RC 4WD Z-T0082 Flashpoint 1.9 Military Off Road Tires (2)
- John Jenkins ROMCAV-04 2 Cavalry Walking with Green Shield
- Scalextric Aston Martin DBR bluee C2063 MB one of 500 cars.
- greypner 7952 – Servo des 806 BB, MG
- OS MAX FS91 FS-91 4-STROKE R C MODEL AIRPLANE ENGINE
- 3 AC Gilbert Vintage Erector Set Metal Box Case 6 1 2 Toy 16.25x 8.25x 3 M3Q
- (PRL) REVELL ELICOTTERO BUZZARD RADIOCOMANDATO 3 CANALI CH R C GYRO 27 MHz ALLUM
- Vintage Futaba no 1510 F-16 Dual-Rate-Modul
- DD086 WW2 US American Para 101st Screaming Eagles D-Day Normandy DD 86
- [NEW] KST MR320 Contactless Position Sensor Steel Gear Digital Servo for Robot R
- 1 35 Takom US M3 Lee Early
- Alilo Smarty Shake and Tell Rattle - R1 bluee, Brand New
- 17 BIG VINTAGE CUDDLE WIT WHITE BUNNY RABBIT EASTER STUFFED ANIMAL PLUSH TOY
- Aoshima 53188 The Model Car 36 Toyota TA22 Celica 1600GT '72 1 24 scale kit F S
- C24554 Brushless RTR Type Race Version Modified 1 10 Dual Belt TC w o Body