The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Vintage 1997 Ren & Stimpy Large 18 Powdered Toast Man Plush CharacterClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Pro-Line 1177-11 Road Rage 3.8 Mounted Front Rear Mounted Street Tires (4)The most favorite cardcaptor Sakura clear card version Last one award MemoryGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) 1 pair RC Crawler Front Rear Axle for Jeep Wrangler Axial SCX10 RC Car Partssince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Model_kits BANDAI NEKO BUSOU TENKOMORI Plastic Model Kit NEW SBNew 1 350 PHOTO ETCHED PARTS IJN Heavy Cruiser Takao Add Detail PIT-ROAD Japan
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Trumpeter 01054 1 35 Terminal High Altitude Area Defence THAAD Plastic Model Kit
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Ultra change series Ultraman Galaxy VictoryKING AND COUNTRY US Marine No Marine Left Behind USMC16 USMC016Jurassic World Toys Jurassic World Fur 'n Grr Dinos Tyrannosaurus Rex
Thunder Snow (20-1):RC4WD VVV-C0196 Rear Lamp Assembly with LED for Tamiya 1 14 Scania This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Axial Wraith ESC with drag brake, AXIAL AE-2 poison forward rev AX20459 AXI90018
- LOTUS 79 REF PICTURE BOOK for TAMIYA 1 20 1979 ANDRETTI PETERSON JARIER
- Franklin Mint Scarlett GWTW Green BBQ Dress And Accessories
- Vilac Vilac1872 Caroline The Turtle Pull Toy
- Robert Raikes Bears, Mothers Day 1990, with Certificate of Authenticity
- Build A Bear Incredibles 2 soft toy
- New Taeyang dolls Pullip Fashion Tuxedo Mask Sailor Moon japan F S 046
- “Martina” by redraut Schredt The Great American Doll Co. 26”
- Lissi City-Pram Multi-Colour. Shipping is Free
- Barbie bluee Vinyl Trunk Case Ponytail
- Dressed to party a Doll Hat and Dress for Ellowyne Wilde and Princess Diana doll
- Galactic Overlord Booster Box 1st Edition Brand New Sealed Yu-GiOH
- Mystical Tutor MTG Magic The Gathering Mirage MISCUT MISPRINT
- Power Wheels Y2484 Fisher Price Kawasaki Teryx 12 Volt Grey Battery Genuine
- Micro Trains Line 47041 PEERBOLTE ONION SETS 3602 40' Wood Reefer 1 160 142G å
- 1x FOIL RUSSIAN Jodah Archmage Eternal Dominaria DOM MTG Funzzzo
- Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. BugWatch
- Star Trek The Next Generation Karte Hugh Young Borg unterzeichnet JONATHAN DEL
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar Bretonnian Bretonnia Damsel Mounted 88
- MUSICAL CHALLENGER X12 JEU ELECTRONIQUE VENDU EN L' ETAT pour pièces
- PSA 9 MISTY'S GYARADOS MINT JAPANESE GYM HEROES POKEMON 1998