The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Warhammer Epic 40k metal Tyranid Hierophant bClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Vintage 3M Acquire Bookshelf Board Game 1968 OriginalJim Henson's Labyrinth the Board Game 2017 Rare New River Horse BowieGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) golden Egg Games Fallen City of Karezsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
FASA BattleTech BattleMech blueeprint 34 x22 (Locust) GAMES WORKSHOP WARHAMMER 40K GORKAMORKA ORK BOYZ MINIATURE FIGURE SET W BOX
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Go For Broke (Board Game, 1985) Spend-A-Million Selchow & Righter RARE OOP
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Grenadier bluee Dragon “Dragon of the Month” 9607 Miniature 004Arkham Horror Revised, Fantasy Flight, Cthulhu Board Game, Sealed Parts Extras SUPER ROBOT WARS ALPHA 2nd Game Guide Book +CD Play Station 2 VJ2471
Thunder Snow (20-1):7 Wonders Cities Expansion Repos Production Games Board Game New Seven Wonders This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- HO MASTER gold U30B PH2 NdeM 9740 (ATM10001183) ORIGNAL BOX
- EMD E7A Diesel Locomotive w DCC & Sound HO Scale - Southern
- Lord of the rings chess set
- Lionel Ace Hardware, GREAT NORTHERN, GLACIER ROUTE FREIGHT SET
- LIMA HO 309471 309472 - LOT DE 2 VOITURES BANLIEUE DB - DC NEUF
- Athearn N 30000 Gallon Ethanol Tank TEIX White (3) ATH16505
- 1 700 Big bluee Boy USS New York LPD21 Photo Etch Set
- Monopoly Game of Thrones Board Game Collectable Monopoly Game Official Game
- Verlinden 120mm (1 15) 88mm Ammo Shells & Cartridges 8.8cm FlaK 37 (for 970) 971
- British De Havilland Mosquito Squadron Blood Red Skies WWII Airplane Miniatures
- Hobbyboss 80344 1 48 A-7D Corsair II
- SACHSENMODELLE HO 14422 - VOITURE TYPE RZ ABD DBAG - DC
- TANK BATTLE GAME - MB GAMES - 1976 - 100% - TANK BATTLE - ALL FLAGS INCLUDED
- H0 Kolonialwarenwagen Persil K.Bay.Sts.B. Trix Express 33501 neuw. OVP
- Vallejo raf & Faa Bombardier Air Commandement Et Entraînement Air 1939 - 45 -
- Tamiya RC 58662 Comical Grasshopper (WR-02CB) 1 10 Assembly Kit
- 1 6 Scale Predech Pro Max Touring
- WLtoys 124012 1 12 2.4G 4WD 60km h Remote Control Desert Vehicle RC Car Model
- Vintage 1993 NABER Wooden Dolls WILD WOOD BABY